Google voice is a great way to receive and call for free. Normally you need to use the web interface to dial out. Out of the US it doesn’t even give the option. here is what I did in order to be able to place and receive calls from a regular telephone. I have used the tutorial from Nerdvittles.com and I am rewriting it in the way I set it up using PBX in a Flash version 18.104.22.168
- A spare laptop with an empty hard drive
- A VoIP adapter (Linksys pap2) or software (X-lite 4)
- PBX in a Flash ISO
- A dedicated Google voice account (not your existing Gmail account )
Guide to the installation
- Burn the PBX in a flash ISO using whatever software you prefer (CD Burner XP portable)
- Place in laptop and boot from the CD
- At the keyboard prompt, tab to OK and press Enter.
- At the time zone prompt, tab once, highlight your time zone, tab to OK and press Enter.
- At the password prompt, make up a VERY secure root password. Type it twice. Tab to OK, press Enter. (Do NOT use special characters in any provider passwords)
- When the system has installed CentOS, it will reboot. Remove the CD promptly.
- After the reboot, choose PIAF-Purple option.
- After installation is complete, the machine will reboot a second time.
- Write down the IP address of your new PBX server. You’ll need it to configure your hardware-based firewall in a minute.
- Visit voice.google.com
- Choose Settings /voice settings / Phones
- Enable the Google Chat option as one of your phone destinations (If you don’t see this option, you may need to call up Gmail and enable Google Chat there first.)
- Click on the Calls tab
- Set Call Screening – OFF, Call Presentation – OFF, Caller ID (In) – Display Caller’s Number, Caller ID (Out) – Don’t Change Anything,Do Not Disturb – OFF.
- Click Save
- Under the Voicemail tab, plug in your email address so you get notified of new voicemails
- Log into your server as root and issue the following commands to download and run The Incredible PBX installer:
- cd /root
chmod +x incrediblepbx18.x
- When The Incredible PBX install begins, you’ll be prompted for the following:
Google Voice Account Name = the Gmail address for your new dedicated account (Don’t forget @gmail.com)
Google Voice Password
Gmail Notification Address = the email address where you wish to receive alerts
FreePBX maint Password = the password you’ll use to access FreePBX
- Using a web browser, log in to the IP address of your Incredible PBX
- Slide the tab on the bottom left from users to admin
- Select FreePBX administration
- Username = maint
- Password = FreePBX maint Password
- Select setup from the top left tab
- Select Extensions from under the “Basic” sub-menu
- Select extension 701 from the right side of the screen
- Scroll down to view the five digit code for secret (you will use this to create a login on the voip adapter or the voip software)
- Log in or open your VoIP device/program
- Type 701 as the user
- The password is the five digit code under secret
- Your PBX server IP address is the domain
This is the basic setup for a home PBX using Google Voice for free incoming and outgoing phone calls. There are many other optional options to setup and play with, you can find them all out by visiting the relevant websites. Start off by visiting Nerdvittles.com.